The Truth About Religion
May 18, 2012 in Religion
WHAT IS THE TRUTH ABOUT RELIGION?
The truth is that the existence or non existence of God can’t be proven either way. No one can prove that God exists and no one can prove that God does not exist. All anyone can ever do, is weigh the evidence. But why are some of the most brilliant atheistic minds in the world, biologists, chemists, astronomers, doctors turning from atheism to Religion? The reason is simple. They have kept informed of new discoveries and information. They have then analyzed, objectively and with an open mind, weighed this new evidence that did not exist when the paradigm of darwinistic materialism was being formulated. They saw new facts and new information that required new conclusions. That is how science and discovery is supposed to work, but often does not . The available information has changed and “evolved” dramatically. The more we’ve learned, the more compelling the case “for” religion has become. At the same time, the case “against” has become much more difficult to even TRY to make…
For many scientists, even when the conclusions, objectively should change, often their worldview does not. When careers, reputations, grants, etc… are dependent upon research within the paradigm of Darwinism and materialism as being the sole explanation for everything, ultimate conclusions rarely change. This is true regardless of the evidence. For them, expressing a change of opinion or belief has too high a price; both socially and financially. Think about it… If your job or research grant is dependent upon your study of evolution; an acknowledgment that Darwinian mechanisms seem insufficient to explain the diversity and complexity of life, your job and grants are immediately placed in jeopardy… and as many brilliant, objective chemists and biologists have discovered, voicing these realizations often leads to immediate ostracism and becoming a pariah in their field.
Scientific Facts are not in Dispute… ONLY Allowed Inferences and Conclusions are in Dispute
No matter how much a person or institution may assert or prefer otherwise, facts are always the facts… 2 plus 2 is always 4, even if one prefers or asserts that it is 5. Unfortunately, in many areas of science, like bad math, Dogma and preferred worldviews are trumping facts and obvious inferences. This is not how science is supposed to work. Historically, science was a search for truth; the examination and following of the evidence, no matter where that evidence led. This is no longer the case. Worldview often trumps scientific evidence. No matter the evidence, no matter the logical inferences and no matter how compelling the explanatory power of the inference, if a highly likely conclusion contains a theistic implication, further investigation and consideration down that evidentiary path is not allowed. Simply put; a DO NOT ENTER sign is erected. Science, often, is no longer a search for truth, it’s a search to support a purely materialistic causes. No God Allowed… Nothing beyond the nature we can see, touch, or feel is allowed to be considered as a possibility. We now have an A,B,G mentality i.e. Anything But God.
True science, discovery and intellectual honesty requires that we let the FACTS speak. Let them tell us where they lead, what they mean. There is virtually no disagreement on the facts we see in nature; fossils exist, things change over time, beak sizes change, anti-biotic resistance occurs, etc… these are all facts which constitute evidence that relate to opinions as to what conclusion that evidence supports.
- A SIMPLE EXAMPLE:
Even the most atheistic biologists agrees as a FACT, that nature gives the “appearance” of design. This fact leads to, at least, 2 separate opinions.
- One opinion: The Materialistic Dogma states that the amazing diversity of life and nature descended from ONE first living cell. A cell which after countless generations that included blind random chance beneficial mutations that were selected for survival. Ultimately, this one cell through generation after generation of beneficial mutations morphed into every aspect of life and resulted in the exquisite beauty, diversity and complexity of nature that we now see.
- Second opinion, The world and universe does not simply appear to be designed, but actually is designed. As will be discussed in other articles, there is an abundance of compelling evidence for this view. The evidence we will discuss does not prove God anymore than opinion ONE proves the NON existence of God. But rather what will be shown with crystal clarity is that the certainty proclaimed by many that “science has foreclosed the possibility of God”, is not compelled by the science or evidence, but rather by a personal world view that is simply close minded to the possibility of God.
Materialism Is No Longer Tenable
At the time of Darwin, when the body of world knowledge was being synthesized, i.e. his theory of evolution, what little we knew of the complexity and coding of the simplest living cell, the belief that we lived in an “eternal universe”, rather than a finite universe (as described in the bible), the combination of these and many more “scientific facts” made a materialistic worldview with no need for God, reasonable. However, the last 50 to 100 years of scientific discoveries in chemistry, physics, biology, quantum theory, astronomy,etc… have put all of these “facts”, not only in question, but many have been absolutely refuted. The purely materialistic dogma of Anything But God, has become less and less reasonable. However, the scientific materialistic community, at large, has no inclination to undue the damage to religion that these, at best, questionable ideas have caused. Why? Obviously, many believe that the existence of God is impossible. Others simply do not want God to exist, while others, simply believe the world is better off without religion, so why ruin a good thing? But science should not be about what one prefers people should believe, it should be solely about what is true and what is not. It should simple follow the evidence where it leads.
ANYTHING BUT GOD
The dogmatic materialist prefers any hypothesis that will lead away from the conclusion of God. As I’ll quickly discuss below, even a wholly speculative hypothesis with absolutely no empirical evidence whatsoever is preferred to the idea of an intelligence or God.
If It’s Impossible… “The Multiverse Did It”.
Many aspects of the universe are so impossibly unlikely that even atheistic astronomers and physicists consider their occurrence to be nothing short of a miracle… and have even said so… but since they believe that miracles are impossible, there must be another explanation… Enter the Multiverse
If there are an infinite number of universes, then anything, no matter how astronomically unlikely, would had to have happened, at least, once.
A couple examples of the impossibly unlikely events being explained by the MultiVerse:
- We know that life doesn’t come from dead inanimate objects, but life exists, why?
- The incredible fine tuning of the universe For those unfamiliar with fine tuning, it is the fact that even slight alterations in any of the settings for gravity, strong force, weak force, dark energy, etc… had to be set EXACTLY as they are. Even the slightest variations would cause changes to the architecture of the universe such that life and even matter as we know it would cease to exist.
- Lawrence Krauss, chairman of the physics and astronomy department at Case Western Reserve University who said that dark energy would involve the most extreme fine tuning problem known in physics,because you would have to fine tune the dark energy parameter so very closely in order to get the universe to expand at the just right rate. In fact, for physical life to be possible, it has to be fine-tuned to within one part in 10122. That’s 122 zeros after the one.*
- IN FACT, SIR FREDERICK HOYLE, who was the first to realize that all chemical elements are created inside stars by nucleosynthesis made this startling comment, “a common-sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature” (1982:)
Even though, based on all we know, the above is impossible, if we accept a MULITIVERSE, the IMPOSSIBLE becomes a CERTAINTY. If an infinite number of universes exist, then everything that can possibly be imagined to happen, actually does happen, at least once… Therefore, as to the impossibilities above, the argument proceeds as follows… We just happen to live in the “winning” universe! And this is not an exaggeration! To illustrate the absurdity of this line of thinking, consider any possible answer that an atheist would or could give for this question:
- NOTE Dawkins, Krauss, Hawking are WRONG:
- Upon reading this article, many committed materialists will assert Dawkins’ “The God Delusion”; Krauss’s “A Universe from Nothing”; Hawking’s “The Grand Design”; each in their own way, showed that the arguments for God, don’t hold water. The fact is that for each of them, their arguments have been ridiculed and demolished even by many members of their own field. Please feel free to comment and I will direct you to sites and scientific commentary on their, books.
- What would it take for you to believe in a God? I’ve personally heard..
- If the stars lined up to spell “Your name is John and I am your God“
- If I threw a hundred scrabble squares and the hit the ground and spelled, “I am God and I have been watching you“.
Even if we saw this happened, it could still be argued that it proved nothing! Why? Because with the multiverse, no matter how impossible the observation, the committed atheist can still assert… “we happened to be in the universe where the stars aligned and the letters happened to fall that way. This is not evidence of God, we are just in the lucky universe!” Because the multiverse hypothesis explains everything, it also explains nothing… and remember, in addition to the logical absurdities of this hypothesis, there simply is not one iota of empirical evidence that the multiverse even exists. Science is supposed to be about discovering the truth of reality… not simply supporting atheistic dogma.
I invite anyone who prefers truth over a comfortable, self serving ideology, to re-examine and re-analyze some of the facts that may have led them to atheism and then let those newly discovered facts take them wherever they logically lead. There is a new world of exciting information and scientifically supported conclusions that many of us have missed. Sometimes due to our inattention, often because facts have been purposefully hidden. In some cases, we’ve all simply been lied to. Regardless, the goal here is not to convert, but rather to inform; then let the facts lead where they may…
Please see the book marks at the end of this article. They lead to many articles and videos that detail not only the newest information but the untrue “facts and conclusions” we’ve all been taught that undermine religion but now know are false.
As rational humans, all we can ever do is to objectively look at the evidence and then come to the conclusion that most closely comports with that evidence. That’s what we do in our court system. We rarely actually PROVE guilt or innocence. We decide what is most probably correct. We look at all the evidence. Both sides present their best case and the jury comes to a conclusion. We then choose to act accordingly.
Shouldn’t we do the same with religion?
SAME EVIDENCE TWO CONCLUSIONS
Unfortunately, many don’t even acknowledge that there are two sides.
The Christian is often so strapped in his faith he won’t look at or pay attention to the physical and biological evidence of evolution. On the other hand, the atheist has been so indoctrinated with the teachings of secular materialism and Darwinism that he doesn’t actually look to see if there are any “holes” in what he was taught. To him it is an inarguable dogma… no more questionable than the existence of gravity. But for those who care, there is so much to the picture!
Regardless of what anyone would prefer to believe, there are 2 sides to the God question. There is information and evidence on both sides of the equation. Neither side has absolute proof, as that’s simply impossible. But with the advent of the newest archaeological, geological and biological discoveries, the answer; the weight of evidence to the “question” of God has dramatically changed. But few are aware of it.
The fact is that some of the most brilliant atheistic minds in the world have turned from atheism to God, based solely on the weight of the evidence. The more we’ve learned, the more compelling the case “for” has become and more tenuous the case “against” has become.
The Starting Point- Facts.
Many will be surprised to learn that in actuality, the atheist and Christian agree on a great deal of facts. Survival of the fittest, microevolution, the fossil record, etc… There is little disagreement on facts; the disagreement is on the analysis of those facts and the ultimate conclusions drawn.
- If I threw a ball across the room and hit Joe with it, that is a clearly uncontradicted FACT. The same thing would have been seen by all observers. However, that fact will be interpreted by each in their own way and their conclusions will be swayed by their preconceptions… do they know me? Like me? Do they dislike Joe?
- One asserts that I’m a horrible person that wanted to hurt Joe.
- Another, that I’m an idiot that wasn’t paying attention.
- A third observer is certain that I obviously have terrible coordination and couldn’t hit the ground twice in a row.
They each saw the same fact, but the conclusions could not be more different.
The opinions that we have for the existence or non existence of God, often rest on universally agreed upon facts.
The problems and disagreement arise over our interpretations of what those facts mean.
Facts are susceptible of multiple, possible conclusions… even opposite conclusions based on identical facts can be reasonable. Just as in a trial… the same jurors see exactly the same evidence but often come to different conclusions. The same is true of politics, religion and many other issues. We may come to the facts with our own preconceptions and biases… But the Facts are always the Facts. As such, they should always be the starting point.
The rational honest person will examine all the facts, give them a reasonable analysis and interpretation and then follow it wherever it leads. The reality is that based on our personal predispositions and beliefs we may analyze and come to different conclusions even when looking at the same information.
The atheist may look all these new facts and say “Wow! Nature is even more amazing than I thought”. The Christian may say “In my heart, I always knew there was a God. But this proves it!”
The Fact is that much of what we were taught, that our children are being taught, as facts… facts that subtly and not so subtly have a tendency to undermine Faith. If the “facts” being taught were accurate, so be it. Reality is reality. Rationally, we would have no choice but to reexamine our beliefs…
However, the FACT is that much of what we are have been taught and that our children are still being taught are lies and misrepresentations… What’s worse they are actually known to be false. But they are still being taught!
Whatever your belief; atheist, agnostic, Christian, follower of Islam, etc… if truth matters; if you want the facts and a belief system that is based on reality rather than on convenience or propaganda, I invite you to examine and analyze what follows:
No matter on which side of the question you reside… FACTS presented in these articles will be enlightening…